NEW HAVEN, Conn. - - With two Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Tournament Championships and two other trips to the semifinals, the Wilmington University men's athletics programs claimed its 11th consecutive Alfred R. Restaino, Sr., Cup for the 2019-20 academic season.
The Wildcats finished with an average score of 13.1250 points to keep the trophy in the First State.
The Wildcats used a pair of CACC Championships in the fall to help propel them to the Restaino Cup, as the golf and cross country squads hoisted trophies at their respective events and collected 14 points each. The fall season also saw the men's soccer team win the CACC Regular Season Championship and reach the semifinals of the league tournament for a 12.75 point average. WilmU also got a boost during the winter season by the men's basketball team qualifying for the postseason and reaching the semis of the CACC tournament, earning 11.75 more points. The Wildcats' 52.5 total points are then divided by the number of sports (4) to earn the 13.1250 average score.
Georgian Court University finished second in the standings with a score 10.5833, while Goldey-Beacom College rounded out the top three of the standings with an average mark of 10.4375.
On the women's side, the Wildcats finished eighth overall with an average of 8.30 points. The women were led by the women's cross country and the volleyball teams that earned 10 points each for their seasons.
The point system used for the award takes into account each athletic program's finish in both the 2019-20 CACC regular season contests and conference tournaments. Each institution receives a combined point total and the sum is then divided by the number of sports the institution sponsors. The award is named after the late Bloomfield College Director of Athletics and Head Coach Alfred R. Restaino, Sr., who served a vital role in not just the school's athletic department but also in the enhancement of the CACC.
The men's Restaino Cup this year was based off of just the fall and winter results, as the 2020 spring season was canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
2019-20 CACC ALFRED R. RESTAINO, SR. CUP STANDINGS FOR MEN'S SPORTS
1. Wilmington University (13.1250)
2. Georgian Court University (10.5833)
3. Goldey-Beacom College (10.4375)
4. Thomas Jefferson University (10.1250)
T5. Bloomfield College (9.5000)
T5. Holy Family University (9.5000)
7. Post University (9.4375)
8. Dominican College (8.7500)
9. Chestnut Hill College (7.6875)
10. Felician University (7.1250)
11. Concordia College (6.6875)
12. Caldwell University (6.0833)
13. University of the Sciences (4.7500)
14. Nyack College (4.5833)
2019-20 CACC ALFRED R. RESTAINO, SR. CUP STANDINGS FOR WOMEN'S SPORTS
1. Thomas Jefferson University (12.4500)
2. Georgian Court University (11.2500)
3. Holy Family University (10.1000)
4. University of the Sciences (9.6875)
5. Felician University (8.8750)
6. Caldwell University (8.8500)
7. Goldey-Beacom College (8.7000)
8. Wilmington University (8.3000)
9. Bloomfield College (7.7500)
10. Post University (7.7000)
11. Concordia College (7.6000)
12. Dominican College (7.2000)
13. Nyack College (6.7500)
14. Chestnut Hill College (6.2500)