Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wilmington Men’s Soccer Drops First Decision of Season, 3-1, to Bloomfield on Homecoming

Wilmington Men’s Soccer Drops First Decision of Season, 3-1, to Bloomfield on Homecoming

Copyright 2016; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo of the build up of Bloomfield's final goal, taken by Darrin M. Pratz.

NEWARK, Del. - - A pair of second half goals stifled the Wilmington University men's soccer team as they were beaten for the first time this season, 3-1, against Bloomfield at the WU Athletics Complex on Homecoming Weekend.

In a matchup of two Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference teams that always seem to battle each other tough, the Bears (2-3, 1-1 CACC) got the better of the Wildcats (3-1, 1-1 CACC) on Saturday afternoon. It snapped a four-game winning streak by the Wildcats in the all-time series.

Bloomfield out shot the Wildcats, 11-8, for the match, using a 9-5 advantage in the second half to tilt the tide. Although they only collected two shots in the first half, they were the team that struck first.

On a set piece opportunity, the Bears beat Vinny Tasca with a low header for the 1-0 lead in the 12th minute. The Bears put the free kick from the right side into the box, and Hugues Douyon get on the end of the one-hop service for his second goal of the season.

The Wildcats retaliated in the first half, tying the game in the 31st minute. Manuel Ruiz-Luque was the recipient of a nice run by Keith Sanderson down the right side. Sanderson got all the way to the end line before centering the ball. Alex Luke got a touch on the ball at the near post, directing the ball towards the center of the goal. Ruiz-Luque was there for the one-time goal at the 30:49 mark.

The Bears came out of the break and put the first four shots and two corners in the books before the Wildcats settled in. But it was the Bears that broke the 1-1 tie in the 78th minute.

A fortuitous bounce in the backfield allowed the Bears to put a through ball down the middle and into the top of the box. Bloomfield's Amin Miller's one touch shot beat the Tasca who came off his line to challenge the shot with 12:07 left in the second half.

The Wildcats had an opportunity to tie the match, but Lorne Bickley's shot was wide in the 81st minute. The ensuing goal-kick was headed into the Wildcats end and allowed Shaunavon DeSouza to get in behind the defense. Tasca forced DeSouza to the end line, but the Bears were waiting in the box with an open goal. Nathaniel Valencia was able to score his first of the year after DeSouza kept the ball in play on the end line.

The Wildcats collected three shots in the 3:55, but the ball wouldn't find the back of the net.

Tasca made three saves in goal for the Wildcats while Bloomfield's goalkeeper Wilson Cisneros recorded one stop for the victory.

After going 3-1 at home to start the season, the Wildcats hit the road this week for two games. They open the week on Tuesday at West Chester with a 4:00 p.m. start.