Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Bickley Scores Twice to Lead Wilmington Men’s Soccer to 2-1 Comeback Victory over Georgian Court

Bickley Scores Twice to Lead Wilmington Men’s Soccer to 2-1 Comeback Victory over Georgian Court

Copyright 2016; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo of Bickley's first goal against Georgian Court taken by James Jones.

NEWARK, Del. - - Freshman Lorne Bickley continues to find the back of the net, leading the Wilmington University men's soccer team to a 2-1 come from behind Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference victory over Georgian Court on Wednesday afternoon at the WU Athletics Complex.

The Wildcats (8-2, 4-1 CACC) controlled possession and the pace of play throughout the majority of the match, but found themselves down at the half, 1-0. Bickley (St. Helier, Jersey) was able to score two second half goals to bring the Wildcats back and take down the Lions (6-4-1, 4-2-1 CACC) who were atop the CACC standings prior to the match.

A foul on a free kick gave the Lions a second free kick just outside the 18-yard box in the first half. The Lions' captain Michael Clarke bent a ball around the wall and hit the far post at the right angle for the 1-0 lead in the 19th minute. The Wildcats outshot the Lions, 10-5, but went into the halftime break trailing 1-0.

A substitution in the 70th minute brought Rodolfo Olivares and Bickley into the game and they both made an impact right away. Olivares kept the ball alive in the box with a header before the ball found Dominic Folarin on the right side. Folarin went to the endline and found Bickley on the near post for the one-time shot, tying the game, 1-1, in the 72nd minute.

Folarin had another opportunity a minute later but was stopped before Jamie Burridge had a two-on-one chance in the 78th minute that was also saved.

But Burridge would redeem himself in the 83rd minute, getting a long ball over the top from Geoff Velasquez in the back. Burridge took on his two defenders and worked his way into the penalty area and to the endline on the left side. His outside of the right foot pass found Bickley wide open on the six-yard box and he one-timed it home for his second goal of the match.

The Lions' had another free kick opportunity in the 86th minute, but Clark wasn't able to beat Vinny Tasca this time, as Tasca tipped the ball over the crossbar and away from danger.

The Wildcats out shot the Lions, 10-5, for the match and earned more corners, 8-4. Tasca recorded four saves for the win while the Lions' Aleksander Milosevic recorded four stops.

The Wildcats take to the road for their next two CACC games, starting with a night game at Felician this Saturday. The Wildcats will take on the Golden Falcons at 8:00 p.m. at the Lyndhurst Recreation Complex in Lyndhurst, N.J.