Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Wilmington Men’s Soccer Fends Off Felician Comeback, 3-2, in CACC Night Game

Wilmington Men’s Soccer Fends Off Felician Comeback, 3-2, in CACC Night Game

Copyright 2016; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo of Tasca's save in the final moments at Felician.

LYNDHURST, N.J. - - A game can turn in a matter of three seconds and in the case of the Wilmington University men's soccer team on Saturday night, it happened twice in a 3-2 Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference victory over Felician at the Lyndhurst Recreation Center.

Action at the very end of each half helped the Wildcats (9-2, 5-1 CACC) hold on against the Golden Falcons (3-7-2, 2-4-1 CACC) as the home team came storming back from a 3-0 deficit in the second half.

Already leading 1-0 in the first half, Sam Jester capitalized on the play from Keith Sanderson and Alex Luke, burying a low shot with just three seconds remaining on the clock before the halftime break. After taking a 3-0 lead, the Golden Falcons stormed back with goals in the 72nd and 75th minutes before an opportunity to tie the game late.

But the final three seconds went in favor of the Wildcats once more, as Vinny Tasca made a sure two-handed save from point blank range right before the final whistle from the referee blew.

Jamie Burridge put the Wildcats on the board early in the first half, scoring his fifth goal of the year with an assist from Elliot Johnson in the 10th minute. Jester's fourth goal sent the Wildcats into the half leading, 2-0.

Lorne Bickley seemed to have put the Golden Falcons away early in the second half, scoring his 10th goal of the season off an assist from Manuel Ruiz-Luque in the 54th minute.

But the home team didn't lie down, responding with a goal in the 72nd minute to break the ice. The Golden Falcons then cut the deficit to a single goal with their next shot, scoring off a set piece in the 75th minute to bring it to 3-2.

It was the Tasca show for the rest of the match.

The goalkeeper was called upon to make back-to-back saves in the 79th minute before coming up with the clutch save form three-yards out for the game-saving stop.

Tasca made six saves in all while the Golden Falcons' Jasur Tursunboyev recorded three stops in the loss. Felician also out shot the Wildcats, 14-11, in the match but the Wildcats earned more corners, 5-3.

The Wildcats remain on the road in the CACC for their next contest, as they head to Post on Wednesday afternoon. The opening whistle is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in Waterbury, Conn.