Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Fredrik Bentdal Solidifies Comeback 30 Seconds into Overtime, 3-2, at Millersville in Season Opener

Copyright 2017; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. File photo of Fredrik Bentdal by James Jones. October 25 vs. Jefferson.
Copyright 2017; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. File photo of Fredrik Bentdal by James Jones. October 25 vs. Jefferson.

MILLERSVILLE, Pa. - - A Fredrik Bentdal blast just 30 seconds into overtime gave the Wilmington University men's soccer team a 3-2 come-from-behind victory in the 2018 season opener at Millersville on Thursday night.

A fast start to the 2018 season didn't last long for the Wildcats (1-0), as they founded themselves down, 2-1, in the 63rd minute. The game-tying goal came in the 85th minute before Bentdal scored from outside the box just 30 seconds into extra time to seal the 3-2 victory.

Newcomer Will Stone highlighted the first half for the Wildcats, finding the back of the net with his first opportunity for the green and white. It only took 8:22 for the senior transfer to make an impact on the season, scoring off a double assist from Sam Jester and Tom Garratt to put the Wildcats ahead, 1-0, in the early going.

But the Marauders (0-1) answered by finding the back of the net on their first shot of the game as well, waiting until the 21st minute to strike. Tied, 1-1, at the half, the Wildcats narrowly led in shots, 5-4, and corners, 2-1.

The opening 15 minutes of the second half were back-and-forth, but it was the Marauders were the team that was able to strike first to take a 2-1 lead. Chase Flickinger put the home team up, 2-1, in the 63rd minute.

The Wildcats picked up the pressure from there on out, putting up the game's next four shots and three corner kicks. But it was the Wildcats' fifth ensuing shot that evened the match.

After forcing the Marauders offside, newcomer Ellis McSharry knotted the game in the 85th minute for his first collegiate career goal. McSharry took a feed from Stone on the right side of the box and bent it into the top left corner with 5:09 left in regulation.

Garratt thought he had the game-winner in regulation, but his shot in the 87th minute hit the post and stayed out, sending the game into overtime.

The clock hardly began to roll in the overtime before Bentdal ended the game in 30 seconds, with another assist going to Stone.

Stone scored once and added two assists for four points. Bentdal and McSharry each scored once for two points while Garratt and Jester added assists for one point.

Senior Vinny Tasca made three saves for the win while the Wildcats ended up outshooting the Marauders, 14-7.

The Wildcats return to Millersville for their next contest but to square of against the District of Columbia on Saturday. The opening whistle is set for 4:30 p.m.