Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Second Half Comeback Gives West Virginia Wesleyan a 21-20 Overtime Victory over Wilmington Women’s Lacrosse

Second Half Comeback Gives West Virginia Wesleyan a 21-20 Overtime Victory over Wilmington Women’s Lacrosse

Copyright 2016; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. File photo of Megan Card against Queens, taken by Amy Short.

BUCKHANNON, W.Va. - - A big second half comeback by West Virginia Wesleyan forced overtime and the home team scored the golden goal victory over Wilmington women's lacrosse, 21-20, on Friday afternoon at Cebe Ross Field.

The Wildcats (0-4) scored eight straight goals and then finished the first half with another four consecutive marks to go into the halftime break leading 15-8. But the Bobcats (1-3) made a second half comeback, eventually tying the game at 19-19, before scoring the final goal of regulation with 3:43 to play to tie the game again at 20-20.

The Wildcats had two opportunities at the goal in the overtime period, as Sara LeBrun and La'Dae Boykin each put shots on frame. But West Virginia Wesleyan goalkeeper Lauren Granville came up with the stop on each occasion, allowing the Bobcats the opportunity to go the other way.

After the executed clear attempt following Boykin's shot, the Bobcats scored on their first shot attempt of the extra period, as Natalie Schaffner beat Wilmington goalkeeper Maddie Hurm for her fifth goal of the game.

The Wildcats were down by scores of 3-1 and 5-2 before a Megan Card sparked the Wildcats into an eight-goal streak. Sam Foster tied the game, 5-5 before Card gave the Wildcats their first lead of the game with 13:54 left in the first half. LeBrun scored back-to-back goals on assists from Card before Card finished off the run with her third goal of the streak, giving the Wildcats a 10-5 lead.

The Bobcats then scored three of the next four goals of the game to close the gap to 11-8 before the Wildcats closed out the first half on another 4-0 run.

Out of the halftime break, the Bobcats scored the first two goals and went on a 5-1 run to close the gap to 16-13. The Wildcats scored three of the next five goals in the game, including Gabby Spalt's team leading sixth goal of the game to put the Wildcats ahead 19-15 with 12:58 showing on the clock.

The Bobcats didn't quit however, scoring the next four goals to tie the game at 19-19 with 5:24 left in regulation. Foster put the Wildcats back on top with a goal with 5:01 to play, but the Bobcats retaliated with another game tying goal with 3:43 left, the final goal of regulation.

Card had a shot saved with 2:51 to play while Hurm came up with a free position shot save in the waning seconds to force the extra period.

Card led the Wildcats with eight points on the afternoon, scoring four goals and adding four assists. Spalt scored a team high six goals while Foster, LeBrun, and Boykin each added three goals. Alexis Olsen also added a goal and an assist for the Wildcats.

The Wildcats were neck and neck with the Bobcats in draw controls in the first half, 9-7, but were out controlled in the second half, 11-2, which led to the comeback.

The Wildcats remain on the road for one more contest, as they head to East Stroudsburg for another nonconference game on Tuesday, March 22. The opening draw against the Warriors is set for 3:00 p.m.