Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Basketball Closes out Regular Season with 92-85 Loss at Goldey-Beacom; Earn South Division’s Fourth Seed

File photo of Jermaine Head. Copyright 2019; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo by Samantha Kelley. March 2, 2019 at Goldey-Beacom.
File photo of Jermaine Head. Copyright 2019; Wilmington University. All rights reserved. Photo by Samantha Kelley. March 2, 2019 at Goldey-Beacom.

WILMINGTON, Del. - - The Wilmington University men's basketball team dropped its regular season finale, 92-85, at crosstown rival Goldey-Beacom on Saturday inside the Joseph West Jones Center.

With the loss, the Wildcats (12-16, 9-10 CACC) secured the fourth seed from the South Division for the upcoming Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference Tournament. The Wildcats will head to the North Division Regular Season winner Bloomfield on Tuesday night.

The Wildcats couldn't overcome the 13-point difference from the free throw line on Saturday, despite going 12-of-29 from beyond the three-point arc and out-rebounding the Lightning (14-14, 12-7 CACC), 41-30, for the game.

Goldey-Beacom turned a 5-4 early deficit into a 12-5 lead in the first half and another 8-0 run put the home team up, 20-7, midway through the first half. Thomas Farrior converted an old-fashioned three-point play to bring the Wildcats to within 29-24, and Alvin West hit his third three-pointer of the first half to get within 31-27. Jermaine Head hit a three and followed it up with two from the foul line to bring the Wildcats to within 41-38, but Corey Taite hit a jumper with five seconds left to send the home team into the halftime break leading, 43-38.

Thomas Farrior tied the game early in the second half with a three-pointer, 45-45, but the Lightning then ran off a 12-3 run to take a 57-48 lead with 13:27 left in regulation. But back came the Wildcats, as Jordan Harding hit a three-pointer to cut the deficit to 60-58, and Danny Walsh again had the Wildcats to within two at 62-60 with 8:33 showing on the clock. But the Lightning answered with a  7-0 run of their own, reopening a 69-60 lead with 6:55 to play.

Back came the Wildcats however, as Farrior converted an old-fashioned three-point play followed by a Jermaine Head layup. Ed Henderson then hit a three-pointer to bring the Wildcats back to within 69-68 with 5:33 on the clock. That started a string of six consecutive made three-points combined by both teams, with Corey Taite's latest giving the Lighting a 78-74 lead with 2:58 left.

Jermaine Head hit another three to get within three points but Corey Taite hit both from the foul line to keep the Wildcats at bay. Every time the Wildcats scored down the stretch, the Lightning came up with a big bucket at the other end, answering the call. Jermaine Head put in a layup, 88-85, with17 second left, but Goldey's Corey Taite hit two from the line and the Wildcats couldn't answer. Marcellus Livingston iced the game for the Lightning with a dunk late.

Goldey-Beacom went 26-of-29 from the foul line for the game as compared to the Wildcats' 13-of-16. Corey Taite went a perfect 13-for-13 himself.

Jermaine Head led the Wildcats with 26 points, adding 10 rebounds, four assists, and two steals. Thomas Farrior scored 21 points and led the game with 14 rebounds. Alvin West came off the bench and hit four three-pointers for 12 points. Jordan Harding and Danny Walsh added 10 points each.

The CACC Tournament Quarterfinal game is set for Tuesday night at Bloomfield. The opening tip is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.